Earlier | Home | Later
Sunday, July 11, 2004
Back from travelling: thinking themes and lessons learnt
My three weeks of travel are over. I'm back home, unpacking, tuning into regular rhythms and trying to connect bits and pieces into a whole...
Themes to think about:
- Networking: from awareness to action, dynamics, scaling
- Interplays: tools and practices, users and developers
- Reflective practices
- (PhD) research methodology: design research, multiple perspectives, Niels Bohr, (in)visibility as a lack of dimensions
- Conversations: multiple media
Lessons learnt and other unrelated notes in no particular order:
- never ever think of finishing a paper while travelling to conferences - spoils all the fun of sightseeing and f2f time
- how comes that I was meeting "hypertext guys" at all places I went?
- survival Italian: spremuta di arancia
- when you decide to have a "laptop-free" day you need it most (or: one step closer on investing into something light and small)
- where to eat in Milan (or: poetry and food) - find link!
- lunch at a conference venue is not necessary the fastest one: sometimes it makes sense to walk more
- before blogging a conference check if there are collaborative notes
- for a real-life metaphor of being lost on the Net, get into the net labyrinth at Mur insel in Graz (and while you are in Graz, remember that the best time to walk to Schlossberg is 2 at night :)
- walking in Lugano be prepared for salsa dancing
- when you start believing that there is no one to talk about weblogs, you find a great company to do so
- it's easy to start falling in love with everything Italian
- three weeks with a small suitcase is not that impossible
- it's not about getting to the colourful house, it's about conversations with people on the way there
- it's a pleasure to see Earth from above again and again: each time there is a discovery
- in spite of another round of Radio problems, I'm not going to change the tool (at least until liveTopics functionality gets into k-collector ;)
- and, of course, all interesting personal KM discussions happen when I travel...
I'll be editing old posts during coming week, don't be surprised...
Something else: my weblog turned two years the day before I started travelling and I forgot to post about it. I guess blogging is getting so much interwoven into my way of doing things that anniversaries do not matter anymore :)
Earlier | Home | Later
© Copyright 2002-2005 Lilia Efimova.
This weblog is my learning diary. Sometimes I write about things related to my work, but the views expressed here are personal and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.